Saying "I am stupid", then we would know that they were stupid and we could have made plans to accomodate them. But they left them at home, I guess. Or in the car or on the bus or whatever means of transportation brought them to the ER.
On Monday, the patients coming to the ER just about did me in. It was a gorgeous Monday in western Colorado, the temperatures were reaching 90 degrees. A day to spend out in the sunshine, breathing in the mountain air and being thankful for the blessing of wonderful weather that we are given on a daily basis.
Did these people go outside and enjoy the day? NO! They came to the ER. Without their signs....
I swear I have never run into such morons in one place, as I ran into on Monday!!
We had people coming in for various reasons that were, I am sure, very emergent to them, but had our staff in an uproar!
Patient #1, pulls up with her boyfriend, gets out of the car with a 32 oz giant styrofoam cup of pop in one hand and a half smoked cigarette in the other hand. They are young (about 23-25) and walked AROUND the other side of the building and into our door with NO problem. She walked as steady and straight as anyone you can imagine, we watched her on our video screens as she made her trek, wearing a knee immobilizer, that was riding about 6# too low. She was here for her 4th trip to the ER this month...... for KNEE PAIN! Did she go to see her family doctor? NO, she doesnt have one, (she can just come to the ER and use it as a clinic, right?) Did she follow up with an orthopedist like she was told to do on her last 3 visits? NO, she didnt want to. It was easier to come to the ER on HER schedule. Did she wear her immobilizer like she was told on 3 other visits? NO, she doesnt like it. But she did wear it today to prove that she had it..... Here's your sign!
Patient #2- 28 yr old male with a sore throat. For 3 weeks. Did he see his family doctor? NO, they want him to PAY to be seen. So he comes to the ER to see the doctor, "he doesnt have to pay at the ER".. What???? Of course he smokes 2-3 packes of cigarettes per day, so he shouldnt have to PAY to be seen by the doctor, right?? .... Here's your sign.
Patient #3- 51 yr old female with chronic pain. needs prescriptions refilled. Why cant her medical doctor refill them? See patient #2's excuse.. she also smokes heavily, 1-2 packs per day. Now where did we put that sign???
So, this is my frustration! I have been seriously thinking it would be healthier for me to go to work at the VA where they can send people packing if they dont need to be in the ER. LOLOLOL
***disclaimer... none of these patients actually exist, they are a compilation of several of the patients that we see on a daily basis. Hence no HIPAA violation.
Just sayin'....
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
If They Had Just Brought Their Signs...
Posted by Tonjia at 12:09 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
Don't you heart stupid people?? I love the ER for traumas, but I could never work there fulltime!! We see enough stupid stuff in OR, can't imagine the ER. We have been so busy at work....we've had more MVA's in the last 2 weeks then we had all last year I think. (Monday one car rollover, 3 people dead, 1 lived...way too many deaths lately. And DOG bites....OMG, we have them way too frequently, its crazy.
Then theres me...when Alex cut his finger before Christmas, I call the convenient clinic to see if they can sew it up, as I don't want to pay a $75 copay in the ER. I am not crazy!! or maybe I am, I work in healthcare!!
Take care, have a great rest of the week!!
Rita
i have been known to ask to have appendages sewn up in the clinic cause i can not stand to go to the er lol
How many of them are just looking for pain meds that a regular doctor would not give them? Just sayin. I can tell you that they don't send vets packing at the VA. They have to see everyone that comes in the door. Otherwise the veteran will write a letter to Shinsiki. Again, just sayin.
Ok, that made me laugh out loud. I remember the days when meeting stupid people was a regular thing. I love retirement!!!! Sorry.
I lost my tolerance for stupid, and my daughter has inheredited the same "lack of tolerance". Difference???? She is much more outspoken about her feelings on stupid. Oh my goodness.
I am so sorry you have to deal with them...but I see no relief in sight for you. Good luck...maybe another job will just "fall" into your lap....be open minded as you go day through day. Good luck!!!!
This is why I don't work with the public. I can't take the stupidity! What I have to deal with is bad enough. Throw in someone's stupidity and I can't function because all I am thinking "Man, you are so stupid how can you even be functioning." Yeah, I have no patience.
Well, I'd just like to state right on this here blog that I have never been to the ER because I smoke. Ever.
Heart attack symptoms because of panic disorder? Yes. And I was totally embarrassed.
On the other hand, having visited there, you should have a medal of sorts for even working in the ER. Way up there on my heroine list!!
Post a Comment