Friday, April 17, 2009

Long time no see.... and a question...

Sorry for the absence, work has been horrible and when I get home at the end of the day, I just collapse.

We have had cold weather for the last 3 days and I think it is taking its toll on the citizens of our community! We have had lots of sick people in the ER, kind of like the middle of the winter, but worse. When the weather breaks, hopefully people will get better and get out into the sunshine and feel better.

I heard a question posed on CNN Headline news yesterday and it got me thinking. I know, can you smell the rubber burning? LOLOL

Anyway, the question was, "If you had the choice, how would you want your tax dollars spent in the year 2009?" Some people called in and said they would want their tax dollars spent to help the economy, stabilize the banks, or dedicated to secondary education, healthcare for the needy, etc.

I think I would like my tax dollars sent entirely to the US military. I want our soldiers to be able to be clothed without paying for their uniforms out of their paychecks. (how many people know that this is happening?) The first uniform is usually courtesy of the branch that they are serving in, but additional uniforms, including boots are purchased by our soldiers.

I am not sure about those who have been deployed. Maybe some of you moms of deployed soldiers can clear that up for me.

I also want out military to have the most advanced, state of the art, weapons, equipment and training options.

Wouldnt it be nice if we had a choice where our tax dollars are spent?

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Hon, we used do get a clothing allowance each month. I think we have the best technology. I do think more money is going to be needed to help all the disabled veterans...more than any other war. So, so sad.

Although, if we could pay money to have the wars end, that would be it.

Homeless people. I'd give it to them. If they were really trying.

Chris said...

The military was the first thing that came to my mind too. Then schools, totally remake for schools, inside and out.

Cupcake Blonde said...

I would like our tax dollars spent on the miliatry too, but spent so they could all come home and end the war.

kim-d said...

Oh man, Tara...this was quite the thought-provoking post. The thought that our servicepeople have to pay for uniforms out of their own pockets assaults any and every sense I have of what is right and just. If that is truly the case, that needs to be rectified.

I will go out on a limb and say this...and it's just my totally uneducated opinion. I would like to see a complete overhaul of the judicial system, the way that our government and country is run, the whole shebang. And here's why. When the rules were made, our world was not the way it is now and it all needs to be adjusted. Okay, here comes the one that could get me shrouded. We need to take care of our own, instead of worrying what is going on other places. Let them fight their own battles, let them take care of themselves; they will figure it out. We have stuff right here that need our resources. I know, people will probably throw rotten produce at this comment, but I think you need to take care of your own business first. Ya just can't be all things to all people...

That's what Lisa thinks. :)