Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy 4th of July! Am I missing something???



For as far back as I can remember, 4th of July has been my least favorite holiday. Maybe Its because I was raised in an area that didnt often promote the use of fireworks, (high desert, usually super dry conditions by the time the 4th of July came around) and so we didnt usually buy them to shoot off.




Or maybe because my ex was a maniac when it came to fireworks. He thought the bigger the better and has blown limbs off of trees, set buildings on fire, nearly blown of fingers, terrified our animals and been in contact with law enforcement over his use of fireworks more times than I can count..




In the last 15 years, this day has become just another nightmare to work. And believe me, it IS a nightmare.




I know I must be missing out on something. I just took Breanna to work and there were countless cars full of people driving way too fast, people packed into the back of pickup trucks waving beer cans around, flipping other people off, yelling, screaming, etc..




What am I missing out on? A celebration of our nations freedom or an excuse to get shitfaced and act like a fool? Sometimes it just makes me go hmmmmmm.....




I would like to salute our soldiers all over the world, who are not able to spend this holiday with their families, those soldiers who are fighting to allow us to remain free, and to have the ability to celebrate this holiday. May God bless them all.




6 comments:

Michelle said...

I like the pretty ones. Never have liked the loud ones. Happy 4th! I hope you have an easy night in the ER.

Lea said...

I love fireworks with a background of dramatic music and the whole shebang.

Here in the burbs of Detroit we don't get too many pick up trucks filled with beer wavers and all. LoL

Sorry your experience with the ex has spoiled the holiday celebrations for you.

I am so thankful that you are one (of too few) who remember to thank those who GAVE us the freedom we flaunt every day.

Hugs,
Lea

Natasha said...

It's all about where you live:) Dusty and I went to a huge firework display with many civilized people. One of these days you will have to come over here to celebrate. Might change your perspective:) Happy 4th. Hope the ED was not too crazy. Have you talked to Mom? Sounds like lots of family fun (heehee)!

Lisa said...

Oh I love this holiday. It has such special meaning to me. I have always said "our experiences in life affect our perspective". and I belive that to be true. This holiday means my family get to come together in fun. We eat, enjoy each others company and then watch the beautiful fireworks go off. We buy them ourselves and take turn shooting. We rate each one as to how well we like it in beauty and originalty. My brother and I as children living in the country would hand dig little forts, foritfy them with twigs, and then spend the day blowing them up with our Black Cats. We would pick up pop bottles for months ahead, wash and clean them to sell them back to the store for a dime each I think. We made as much money as we could to buy our firecrackers. For my parents would not GIVE us money to just blow stuff up. Then the adults would buy a few night works and we would all sit around watching the night show. We ate water melon, and homemade ice cream that we hand cranked as kids taking turns because it was hard on our little muscles. Now, I try to find the simple ways to make great memories for the kids in our families. We still have good food, games, and fireworks. I want the next generation to grow up having wonderful memories of this holiday. As yes, we have a solider in Iraq right now. My nephew is serving this country in the medical field. He was not home with us, but next year, next year, I think we will make the 4th all about him.

As an officer, I loved working the 4th, I loved going around and "getting on to the kids" for shooting their fireworks. But I would also tell them stories about my youth. They also had to learn the safety of not shooting in the city limits and respecting the law. Sad as it was, I never minded working it except I wanted to be home with my family. I would take vacation during that time soon as I was senior enough to do so.

I hope you did not work too hard, and have a great rest of the weekend.

Putz said...

you really are our fireworks girl, aren't you, i have never seen someone get so worked up over fireworks...we had 3 big ones, about 5 smaller ones, sparklers snakes, and we didn't go to evanston to get them, we obeyed the law and enjoyed the lessor fivalities

Debbie said...

I guess if you're not used to them, you wouldn't be missing them. I lived without them for years because David didn't like them, but now...whoo hoo! Bring them on, but only with family or friends by my side to enjoy with :)