Before I begin I need to preface this post by letting you guys know that I have been an ER nurse for 12 yrs now. 4 yrs past the normal "burn out" rate for ER nurses. I have worked in HUGE and busy emergency rooms, and medium size busy emergency rooms and now I am in a smaller busy emergency room.
Career-wise I am just tired. I hate the low lifes who jump from one ER to another looking for narcotics, I hate people who think their sense of "feeling strange" at 3:00am is an emergency, I hate people who beat their kids, and who beat their wives, and who drink themselves into a drunken stupor and then expect us to take care of them and jump to their every whim. I hate people who get pissed off because their sinus headache has to wait while I try to save the life of someone who cant breathe, or a child who has accidentally drowned. You get the idea.
Last night I told Dana if I could find another job in the hospital that was the least bit interesting and didnt involve direct patient care, I would take it. I am in a huge need of a break.
So, I go in to work and while talking with the unit secretary, I look up and this lady walks in the door holding a limp 22 month old in her arms. This baby had fallen off of a rock in the desert and a large (about 3 times his size) boulder had rolled down on top of him! My friend Elaine and I took this kid, got him immobilized, called a trauma alert, got him packaged and sent him up the hill to the trauma center! I think it took less than 15 minutes. Two old experienced, seasoned nurses shoved everyone else out of the way and helped give this little guy the major part of his golden hour. He went to surgery on arrival at the trauma center.
Then towards early morning (around 1:30 or 2:00am) a lady came in by private auto in anaphylactic shock. It became the Tonjia and Elaine show again, I had to push one of our new nurses (who has been chosen to TRAIN another new nurse) out of the way because she didnt know what to do and the patient was losing her pulse.... and Elaine and I stabilized this person. she came very close to death. Later the doctor came and told us that if we had not been there the lady surely would have died. This doctor NEVER offers pro-nurse comments, she is a real hard to please kind of doc.
Do you think God is trying to tell me something? LOLOL Maybe I just need a vacation.
Saturday, September 6, 2008
Experience pays off!
Posted by Tonjia at 4:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
Well, all I can say is...I hope and pray to God above that when I have to go the ER the "you" had better be there to take care of me. My family will thank you. And I will thank you. I can not imagine how hard it is for you to stay at that job for that long. I do agree that you need to either take a really good vacation or you might consider a different area to work in. I DO UNDERSTAND how hard it is on you to do that job day after day, week after week. I so felt it coming back to me when you described your tasks. And so much of it is due to the stupidity of people and THEIR choices. Alcohol mainly huh? You have to live it to understand it...Kuddos to you and here is to the sisterhood!!!
Thank you for what you do, God's angel here on earth!
Things happen for a reason. I am sure that these people were glad that YOU were there. Take a vacation, get away, regroup. Then decide if you still want to find anther job.
as a nurse I so can relate to burn out I have been nursing 12 and a half years... the last 10 months I have been home and honestly I am not thrilled at the idea of going back to work but I am supposed to be doing some home health work with one person so that should be good I will have more details monday.
Kudos to you and Like others YOU are the kind of nurse I would want taking care of me!
hugs Laura ~peach867~
blogger is being a but and I can not sign in...
Hearing you talk about your job makes my whining about mine seem so inconsequental. You are saving lives for crying out loud! I have NOTHING to complain about and you ROCK!
Bless you, Tonjia. Really. I know you HAVE to come into contact with a lot of buttheads because a friend of mine was the ER secretary and she told me some legendary stories about the goings-on there. And yes, you need a vacation, you need some time off, you need to regroup. And you also need to heed the signs that you are right where you're supposed to be.
I don't know if you've ever read it over at my place or not because I've said it but it could have been before you started reading...if it wasn't for nurses, I don't know if I would have made it through Bill's cancer and death with my sanity intact.
Nurses--and that means YOU--make a difference, and that is honorable. There aren't many professions that can say that. However, I think it HAS to be an extremely hard job with a high, fast burn-out rate. So you need to take care of yourself. People need you and, no matter what job you have in that hospital, you will end up helping people because that's just what you do. Am I right? :)
Bless you for being there a the right times, knowing what to do, and doing it. Small moments like that - victories over death - help make the tedium of the everyday work insignificant. You save lives. Not many people get that level of job satisfaction!
so is that what they pay you the BIG BUCKS to do???
Tonja-Thank you for all you do! My daughter began her nursing career one year ago...she works OB-GYN and often tells me of the joy and sadness she deals with on a daily basis. Babies born addicts, young teenage mothers, 24-week demise of twins...it goes on and on. But honestly...the world is a better place because we have angels such as yourself walk among us!
~AirmanMom returning to her blog...
You know I think nurses ROCK! God bless each and every one of you. Yes, I agree you just need a vacation! Do not leave where you are needed the most. This was a message from God saying you are worthwhile and are VERY SPECIAL!!
Heed God's little whisper :)
Post a Comment