Tuesday, September 2, 2008

What has happened to Hollywood?

Specifically the movie industry? Have they taken a vacation?

I love going to movies, but I havent seen one in a while so I thought it would be fun to go to a matinee today since we have nothing in particular planned. I went to the movie listings and this is what I found:

1. Disaster Movie-"During one fateful night, a group of impossibly attractive twentysomethings must dodge a series of man-made and natural disasters. BORING!!!!

2. Hamlet2- I dont even want to read the description for this one...ICK

3. The House Bunny-"Sexpot Shelley Darlington (Anna Faris) lives comfortably at the Playboy Mansion, until a jealous rival gets her tossed out on her tail. With nowhere else to go, she winds up at Zeta Alpha Zeta sorority." I can see that this one is a real brain burner. No thanks..
4. The Long Shots-"a down-on-his-luck former high school football star - turns his niece, Jasmine (Keke Palmer from Akeelah & The Bee), into the quarterback of the local team, the Minden Browns, and gets his stride back when he becomes the team coach" Havent we done this plot like 2839354108 times before in other movies?

5. The Rocker- "As a drummer with the '80s hair band Vesuvius, Robert ''Fish'' Fishman lived his dream as a rock 'n' roll demigod. That is, until his band mates kicked him out. Twenty years later, Fish gets a second chance to sit on the throne of music stardom when his teenage nephew's group hires him as their new drummer. Been there, done that before...


I cant review the rest of the list in its entirety, I am getting nauseous. Here is the remainder of the list.. drab, boring, and no variation. I know Mama Mia, is kind of new and but I would poke my eyes out with a fork if I had to see it, I didnt like ABBA the first time around. LOL

6. Mirrors
7. Pineapple Express
8. sisterhood of the traveling pants 2- another sequal..
9. The Mummy- Tomb of the Dragon Emperor- and yet another sequal
10. The Dark Knight- Did I mention sequal already?
11. Mama Mia- refer to the fork statement above
12. Hancock- just your average Will Smith summer movie. blah
13. Wall-E- not interested
14. Fly me to the Moon- another animated cartoon.

What has happened to the great movies rolling out of Hollywood in the summer? I can enjoy different kinds of movies (except animated ones). But this choice is ridiculous.

What movies are showing in your area?? maybe this is just a geographical thing?

Pay-per-view HERE I COME!!!

11 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

I agree about every other movie you talked about except Wall-E. It is the best movie ever! You forget it is a cartoon it is so good. You should give it a shot.

Donna said...

Good movies are pretty rare these days. We see a couple a year, LOL. We say Wall-E a couple of months ago, and it was goofy and fun. Haven't seen another one since!

Lisa said...

Wall E was absolutely adorable. I dont know about the rest of them, I will wait until they are available on DVD. I like all movies, even ones that repeat the storyline over and over. I just take them at face value and enjoy the chance to put my feet up for 2 hours. I dont do the theater that often. I hate to spend $20+ to see ANY movie. Ill wait until I can buy it blockbuster previously viewed for $5.

Tami said...

Yep, I agree 100%.
Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such nice comments. I love Michelle and she has been such a great help these last few weeks. (has it only been a few weeks?)

I will be catching up on your blog in the next few days. I already see you have a doxie. We have gaby she is a mini and weighs about 9 lbs.

Tami

Tonjia said...

I love watching a good thriller or a good comedy, the others I can catch on DVD.

Today we saw "21" on PPV, it was very good, made you think!

Lana Manis said...

I wanted to go see The Happening (I'm a big M. Night Shyamalan fan) but read that it was extremely graphically violent (pluggedinonline.com), very unlike his previous films, so I passed on it. I'm with you.... nothing worth watching in quite a while. Our family has been enjoying netflix for some time now.

Lisa said...

Man I agree, just not much to choose from here either. However...I did go see Hancock and I liked it. I like movies like that, no brain power required, and I like Will Smith. Except I am Legend was not that good to me. oK, but not one of his better ones. There is NOTHING out that I want to see now either. I just record and watch tons of cop shows. Never did that before, but now there are some I really like. The beach patrol ones are some of my favorites, and of course..Bad boys, bad boys, what cha goin do, what cha goin'do when they come for you. Oh yes, I like Cops for the Theme Song!!!! DVR is the best thing since sliced bread! And fast forward through the commercials.

Mental P Mama said...

I never go any more. They are out on the tube the next week it seems. Loving this background;)

Cee said...

For the first time in years, I had time to go to the movies. Every day if I wished. Well, after Wall-E and Wanted, I decided to stay home. Believe me, I feel your pain.

Plus, the price of admission is beyond reason.

Pay-per-view only offers what was on the big screen previously.

Thankfully I have TCM and love old movies. It also helps that I love reading.

~~Cee~~

Lea said...

My 2 cents? I enjoyed Wall-E. It was sweet and inoffensive. Tough to find that in a movie these days.

Pretty much everything else is drivel.

Anonymous said...

No fair!!! I liked the mummy and the dark knight! LOL you are awful. I do want to see the Death Race though....course picky as you are you might not like that either..LOL!!