Sunday, December 7, 2008

Do you have a Hula-hoop?

I used to work with a girl who had a very large "hula hoop". This means that she was really resistant to anyone getting in her "space". And she would let you know without hesitation if you were crowding her hula hoop right in front of everyone !

My hula hoop is not as large as hers, I usually dont want people crowding my space, but I am pretty tolerant of bumps and innocent touching by strangers unless.... I am sitting. I dont want someone leaning on me in the movie theatre or trying to become my best friend when I am on an airplane, just because they are sitting next to me. When I am on an airplane, I want to descend into my own little world and be left alone.. know what I mean? Anyway, I digress.

Today, Breanna had a choir concert, it was their Christmas performance and it was beautiful. When I arrived, the auditorium was about half empty, so I edged myself towards the middle, and politely left a couple of seats between me and the elderly lady to my right. Now, I have to tell you that even though this show is well attended it is not one of those performances where people have to stand up to watch, so there are plenty of seats..

Anyway, less than 10 minutes after I sat down, here came 2 women and they proceeded to scoot all the way in, to sit right next to me!!! not just next to me, but one of them was LEANING ON ME!! OK, there are 8 seats between these 2 and the aisle (all empty) and 5 rows in front of me, 4 of which were completely empty, and 1 that was still 3/4 empty. It was not necessary to come all the way in to sit on my lap! She was horribly invading my hula hoop and since her shoulders and her knees were touching mine, I had to move. I moved over one seat and was able to breathe again. The longer I sat there, the more I thought that this behavior needed to be blogged about! LOL Talk about RUDE!!!

How many of you guys have hula hoops? Is it just me that doesnt need to be touched by strangers?

Before I forget, Tammy at The Color of Home has so kindly awarded be with the following badge:

thanks Tammy! Before I forget, if anyone out there is experienced with tv download sites (the one I have is fasttvdownloads.com) please drop me an email, I am STUCK!!

7 comments:

Ness said...

I had a yellow and white Hula Hoop as a child and loved it!

Yes, I don't want my space invaded. At the movies we will sit down where there are only 2 seats together on the floor level. When we go to a Cards game, I request seats in the middle so I don't get crawled over. I am one who will say, "This is my space-that is your space. Please stay out of my space." This is usually only said to strangers as my friends know better. I love to hug my friends, etc. but when I am watching something, don't crowd me. And if I get there early enough to plan my seat, I HATE to move when someone moves in on me. I got there early enough to plot out my seat so YOU move!

Lisa said...

Yes, I have to have my personal space. I am a hugger for the most part, but unless I am comfortable with you, I want my space. But fair warning, when we meet this spring, you will probably get a hug. So if you don't want one, you better be wearing a brightly colored hula hoop! by the way...I love the Christmas music!!!

Cupcake Blonde said...

I need my personal space (love the hula hoop anaolgy) Not only am I freaked out when someone sits close to me, but I can't stand the feeling of someone right behind me who is too close, looking over my shoulder. Like in line for a register. Worse, if you try to talk to my back and tap my shoulder to get my attention. I'm sorry, I am a very friendly person but seriously, I don't need to hear your opinion about my purchases. At work I sit in a position where people can come in behind me and stand and I hate it! It freaks me out if I don't know who is there and what they want. But the airplane is the worst. I have to sit on the ailse because I am claustrophobic so if my husband is not sitting next to me I always seem to get people on both sides of the aisle who insist on leaning over into my space and talking to me. Excuse me, but I have a hard enough time not screaming my head off that I am in a hurtling silver tube up in the air, I don't need your innane chatter.

Whew. I'm done.

MommaSuds said...

Never thought of it like that(a hula hoop) but yeah. I am the same way. I do not like to be crowded. I start to get a little claustrophobic and crazy. Like in walmart on black friday when I felt like I was stuck in a cage and couldn't get out. UGH

Unknown said...

tonjia...great post! Love the 'hula hoop' analogy-perfect! Hubster and I jumped on Metro to go to a Washington Nats baseball game, coming home...we were crammed like a sardine with people smelling like stale beer, peanuts and hot dog burps... UGH

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Michelle said...

I will have to remember this hula hoop analogy. Yes, I have my space. I get to movies and and any event that you have to pick your own seat early so that I get the seat and space I want. I will move over one for someone if it is reallly crowded. But when there are plenty of seats on either side then they should be used. You could have said that the seat was taken so that she could move over. Then when your "friend" did not show, oh well.

Marge said...

I guess the hula hoop analogy is the reason I really dislike (don't like to use hate but that's the right word!) crowded places like grocery stores, wal-marts, subways, airplanes, etc. Just don't touch me! I almost completely melt down in huge grocery stores and rush out of them ASAP! Another reason we've gone to giving mostly gift cards for Christmas gifts......don't like all the people pushing and shoving!

I also went to a choir concert yeterday, but was okay as my sister was on one side, and my best friend on the other side. But it was crowded!

Blessings..........