I had an interview yesterday to become a member of the local SANE team. One of the questions that I was asked was "how do you deal with stress?". I had to stop and think for a minute, I didnt have an immediate answer.
I deal with stress on a daily basis. In my profession we are dealing with peoples lives, and if that isnt stressful, I dont know what is. We are trained to be calm under pressure, to think rationally and to know what we need to do before we do it. I seriously never think about it. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing, it allows us to function at the highest level without losing a beat. I think when I have to work on a particularly difficult patient the adrenaline keeps me calm. It hasnt always worked that way, I used to shake and quake in my shoes but over the years I learned that me being nervous didnt help my patient one bit.
I had to answer the question, and after acknowledging that I have worked the last 12 years in an Emergency Room, I answered that being with my family and my dogs were really what helped relieve stress in my life. I forgot to add blogging, and facebook and reading and surfing the internet.
How do you deal with stress?
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
How Do You Deal With Stress?
Posted by Tonjia at 12:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
This blogging thing is a big stress management tool for me. I also eat, which is bad, I know. Golf in the summer. Calling my dearest friends. The occasional dinner out with the girls.
I thank God for you ER nurses - if you didn't remain calm, imagine how awful it would be for the patients (and the parents!)
This is really a good post, Tara.
For one thing, when I compare MY stress to the stress of an ER NURSE, I realize I don't really have any stress at all! Seriously. Not even on the same radar screen.
BUT. When I am stressed, in a funk, whatever? Right now, at this point in my life, I blog, eat, and pet and talk to my cats A LOT. And they sit there and look at me and listen and give me head bumps. And you can certain tell I'm a stress eater. Oh, wait! I'm also a happy eater...and a sad eater...and a mad eater...and a celebratory eater...and...on and on. I am an eater. That is the constant in my life. Always.
A while back, in times of stress I would have done some other different things, too. As life changes, though, the stress-handling also has to change with the times. BWAHAHAHA!
Did you change your name? ;)
I allow people to shower me with gifts. Helps destress me ASAP!!
Hallie :)
Man I hope you get to do the SANE unit. That is awesome. I wish I could work with that in someway, but when I called the domestic violence unit here to VOLENTEER my time and expertise,they never called me back. I guess they have enough help....hummmm that kind of surprises me!
Stess? I am retired. And if my husband doesn't get a job pretty soon, my stress will be coming to you from jail. Maybe that is why the domestic violence people don't want me!!! ha ha ha ha ha
we nurse people tend to deal and later when all has calmed down then loose it... I read and blog to de stress.
Love your blog. I also love your dachshund. We have 3 and they are wonderful and spoiled.
Enjoyed your blog about strss and pet peeves. Thank you for sharing.
Have a great day and Happy Valentine's day,
Susan
While my job is not like yours and I do not save lives, the people I work with do act like their lives depend on me not screwing up. SO I understand stress. How do I handle it? Not as well as I should, hence the migraines, body aches, upset stomach, etc. However, havign a loving hubby and two furry kitties help loads. But relieving all my stress out to my blog is a huge stress reliever. Something I indulge in often because you all make me feel so much better when I am done.
I thought Paxil was handling my stress. Now out of the blue: high blood pressure. Of course it's due to lack of exercise, weight gain and just plain not taking care of myself. Slapping face...
Jails and bitchy bosses are no comparison for your job. I also need the dog I've been talking about for ages. I take naps to hide, which helps. This is a damn good question. It's got me thinking. I'm not doing anything! No wonder!
I excersise, eat right and post at my swearing Mommy site. www.sybermoms.com Join the dark side. Hehehehe.
Carol
Post a Comment