Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I Quit!!.

Did you ever want to just quit? Something. Anything that you have been working hard to do. Did you ever just get really tired of struggling?

I am at that point right now. I have been struggling to stay on Weight Watchers for the last 4 months. I have fought through the holidays, I have walked past the fudge and popcorn and Christmas cookies. I have not celebrated New Years eve with snacks and goodies. I have avoided Super Bowl sunday treats and goodies. I have not ordered out for lunches while my coworkers are going out for McDonalds, Arbys, Taco Bell etc. And thats OK, Lord knows I dont need the junk. But there comes a time when I just want to quit.....

Those of you who know me personally, know that I have had a weight problem all of my life. It is in my genes. My nationality is primarily Native American with my father handing down a healthy dose of Cherokee genes (STRONG Cherokee genes) and my mom filling in the gap with her Blackfoot genes. I am destined to be overweight. I can accept that and maybe I need to.

I overcame a HUGE obstacle in 2004 and 2005 and lost 85+lbs on weight watchers. My weight watchers log book recorded 85lbs total, but I had lost 26lbs prior to joining weight watchers, so if you total it all up, I lost 111lbs from my highest weight. I have gained 20 of those lbs back in the last 4 years and I have worked like a bad dog to get it off, but it just isnt coming off. In addition to that 20 lbs I have to lose 30 more to reach my goal.

My doctor, bless her 105lb heart tells me to stop dieting and not worry about it. Menopause is fighting against me right now, with hormonal changes, excessive water weight gain and metabolism slow downs. I dont want to accept it but I am getting close to waving the white flag!

I have never been a quitter. Lord knows, I stayed in a horrible marriage for 21 years of abuse and unhappiness because I didnt want to be labeled a quitter.
I have always subscribed to the theory "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going". But I a thinking that I need to change that to "when the going gets tough the tough goes shopping!"

I think I need to go to the mall!!!

9 comments:

Cupcake Blonde said...

Shopping therapy always works for me! I don't even need to buy things, just look. :)

I think you should do what is most comfortable for you. You may not be able to lose those last few pounds but by still eating right and exercising you can stay fit and healthy.

Lisa said...

I look at your picture and think...
why are you unhappy? You have such skinny legs, what I would give to have legs like that. I sturggle with my weight now and I NEVER have in the past. but age has NOT been kind to me. I am struggling with learning to be happy with WHO I am. But I also fear that others judge and that might hurt my photography business. Isn't that sad? you should allow yourself to enjoy some of the treats, but not over do it. I commend you for staying with weight watchers and doing so well. for your past and your present. Now get off your back and GIVE yourself a pat on the back.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

Good luck, I hope you are able to get back on track & where you want to be. I too was at the point where I knew I had to either accept it or make a change, that's when I decided to have gastric bypass surgery.

kim-d said...

Damn, Tara! Right here with ya, except I waved the white flag and quit years ago, but there's just so much to the weight thing, isn't there? It never is just what it is. I am not going to give you any advice because with my own weight being what it is and no real desire on my part to do anything about it, I'd be a hypocrite to say anything to you. BUT, I DO know how you feel and I'm always here for ya, Tara--never forget your good friend "Lisa" is right here for you :). I'll close by saying, I agree with Vegas Princess. Eat right, exercise, and enjoy your life--every day of it!

Ness said...

I understand where you're coming from. Remember there are no bad foods, just bad amounts and bad combos. Plan for the treats you crave by eating lighter the read of the day. Walk. Drink the water. You will be there before you know it. Keeping you in my prayers.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Just label 2 days a week as eat what you want days. Maybe your body needs a kick in the pants to get it started again? Seems like the days I cheat are the days that help me lose a pound or two.

Hallie

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i got nuthin to say... I am fat have been fat all my life and will die fat and somedays I hate it worse than others.
sigh.

Debbie said...

Hon, I gained 30 pounds during and after menopause. I haven't managed to lose any of it, but I think if I walked 20 miles a day I may lose some of it. It takes A LOT longer to lose after we are "older" LOL.

Don't quit hon! I can tell you that and I haven't even started. Shame on me!

Mary Ellen said...

Don't quit! I say just try to eat as healthy as you can, and get some exercise, and call it good.

And retail therapy? Awesome idea!