Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Pet Peeves!

I havent done a pet peeve post in a while, and I have a couple that have been bugging me, so here goes.

1. Cell Phone users who have no respect for those around them. this pet peeve
has been on my mind frequently over the last few days, while I was at work. What is wrong with people and why are they so obsessed with their phones that they cant turn them off when they are in a hospital emergency room? I am not talking about distraught parents who may be in the ER because they have an emergency with their child, I am talking about people who use us as a walk-in clinic for non emergent things and who must believe that their cell phone conversation is much more important than the doctors/nurses exam! I had one woman bring her son in (probably around age 10) with some minor complaint, and the entire time I was trying to triage her son, she was texting on her phone! And as if this wasnt enough, she would sigh loudly and roll her eyes when I would ask her about her sons health history. argggg

example #2 is a patient who is in the exam room and talking on her phone when I am trying to assess her! I stood there for a few minutes waiting for her to hang up and then turned and walked out. Once the doc found this out, guess what happened? Her chart went to the bottom of the stack!!! UH OH! you lose! you ignore the nurse, you lose your place in line! argggggg

2. People who carry babies around in those bucket-like carriers and never take them out! We call them "babies in a bucket". You have seen them, in restaurants and out in public. The little baby sits in the carrier while mom and dad are eating dinner, and while mom and dad are shopping and even while mom brings said baby to the ER because he/she is sick! I literally had to tell this young mother yesterday to "take the baby out of the carrier so I can examine him"!!!!! She looked at me like she was appalled that I would even consider removing the bucket baby from his bucket, and do what? Hold him??? In her arms??? OMG. what am I going to ask her to do next? talk to him?

3. people who dump their animals. Our local rescues and shelters are overrun with animals who are being dumped there because their owners cannot afford them, or cannot have them in their current place of residence or who dont neuter and spay their animals therefore they have litters that are unwanted. Come on people! If you cant afford the animal DONT BRING IT HOME! arggggg....

Ok I feel better now, I hoped you enjoyed the trip through my pet peeve zone, whats your pet peeves?









6 comments:

Acutescrubnurse said...

oh man....my pet peeves are on the same level as yours. People are so rude!! I was at a baby shower a few weeks ago, and the chic next to me kept texting, and I thought how rude!!!
We have been crazy at work here too. Was on call last night, worked from 1230 PM Mon, til 630 AM this morning (Tues). Our ER was crazy!! It's funny how when there is NO TRAVEL advised, our ER is full. ugh.
OK, enuf ranting, I'm going to get myself in trouble here!!
Hope all is well, enjoy your days off.
Rita

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

People that chew with their mouths open, people that pick their nose in public, hair on a toilet seat and eating the last of anything and then leaving the container in he cabinet!!

Hallie

kim-d said...

Hey, Tara...I miss you! Mostly because I have been too tired and lazy and uninspired to come around and comment. But I did want to say hi. And now to say your pet peeves are mine, too...plus a whole bunch of others, which I will detail at a later time when I have energy. BWA!

Cupcake Blonde said...

I am with you all the way on those three pet peeves. Allow me to contribute a few more. People who cut me off when I am providing the safe two car length distance between me and the car in front of me. People who talk on their cell phones in line anywhere. People who block the whole aisle with their shopping cart so I can't get by and then look put out when I politely ask them to move. Arggg!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

#3 is my BIGGEST! Ugh.
The first peeve of my own that comes to mind, is when people walk up and start talking to me when I am CLEARLY on the phone (at work, business call). Drives me nuts!

Debbie said...

Well first we need to tell Kim what your name is LOL!

The cell phone epidemic has lately really been getting on my nerves! Especially the driving ones. I almost got out of my car and told one lady to hang up and drive. I'm thinking of making a sign to stick out my window saying just that!