Sunday, November 2, 2008

I Did it!!!

Night shifts are over, and I made it through the last night of hell! The docs are begging me not to "go to the other side". LOL

This is something I have to do, its probably no big deal to you all and you probably cant figure out why it is so important to blog about, but since my blog has no blogging rules, I am considering it as subject matter. LOL

Lots of things are going to be different, first, there are all kinds of bosses around. I am used to being the "boss" and I run my ER the way I choose when I am on night shift,(and I can brag by saying that I have been told we are the best crew they have ever had..) so I will have to adjust to the white collars getting in the way when I am trying to do stuff. AND I am not going to immediately move into a charge nurse position, (there isnt a position open yet, although they are trying to relieve one of the older charge nurses of her position of authority because she isnt really up to par on performing her duties) so I am just a staff nurse. Its ok, I will see how things look from this side of the coin.

Day shift has become very weak in the last 6 months, and the firing of one of the last really experienced nurses last week kind of sealed their fate. They need help. Maybe I can help them... pray for me. LOL

No other news here in the wild wild west, Breanna is still working and going to college, which she loves. She will finish her first semester next month, and we are so proud of her!

The weather here is starting to turn a little, we have had beautiful days and cool nights but I think winter is knocking on our door. Today it is grey and gloomy outside, we seldom see that weather so we are enjoying the crisp air, with windows open.

More to come tomorrow when I am not in a night shift induced hangover!

6 comments:

Natasha said...

Congratulations!! I know what a big deal this is. May you finally get your life back:)

Unknown said...

tonjia...my daughter works Labor/Del night shift and has the whole love/hate relationship with it as well. Working nights is hard on her new marriage, plus she is pregnant, there is a shortage-so she has to care for 3 babies some nights.....but she loves the night-shift crew, the lack of too many doctors and the "quiet" that is not there during day shift. I understand your blog...keep typing, we'll keep reading!
Get some rest!


~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Lisa said...

Yes, please keep blogging about it no matter what you feel, it is your feelings and we are here to be supportive of you. You will be awesome where ever you go, what ever shift you are on. And if you are anything like me, I needed change, I needed to be able to do something just a little different after awhile. And when I got good and tired of it all, I had to get out. You serve such a good and honorable profession, and I am very proud of what you are able to do. I COULD NOT do what you do. No way. So congratulations to you on a job well done. They will you, but we won't, because we will be right here....when you get home in the evening!!!!! See you soon=)

Lisa said...

I left out the word "miss" you. So it looks pretty silly, sorry about that. Darn it, and I was on such a roll!!! Now I look stupid! Well you know me!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

As a night shifter, I get that it's a huge deal! I work in a hospital too, but I'm a Clerk/Monitor Tech.
I'm born for night shift though, I love it and don't ever want to switch to days!
Good luck with it all.

Debbie said...

I have never been a night shift person and couldn't do it at all so my hats off to you for surviving it! The jail is getting ready to go permanent shifts. They switch days and nights every 2 weeks. Maybe they will all be happier campers being one or the other instead of both. I'm sure you'll end up charge nurse, but oh my days sure are hectic. I DID work at the hospital.

David is getting used to being at a smaller one, but he's in the learning process of being in charge so it's all different. He's doing fine. Duh, I guess I should post about it.