Saturday, June 21, 2008

He must have cured Cancer! Or Aids!

Or solved the world hunger problem or brought about world peace!! After reading about Allen Iverson and his new contract with the Denver Nuggets I thought for sure that this person contributed to something that involved solving problems of great magnitude! Or even saving lives!

Upon further investigation, I have realized he didnt do any of the above, he didnt do anything to help anyone, he plays basketball!!!

In case you are wondering what I am ranting about, here is an excerpt from the Rocky Mountain News (6-21-08)

"Allen Iverson regularly has said he wants to finish his career in Denver.
It hasn't been just talk.
With Friday the deadline for Iverson to opt out of the final year of his contract, the star guard decided not to do so and will return to the Nuggets next season for $20.84 million. The move first was reported by the Rocky Mountain News after Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, confirmed his client's intentions in a phone interview."


He plays basketball..... What has happened to our priorities? We are paying a basketball player 21 million dollars for ONE years play, and we pay our EMS and law enforcement officers a mere fraction of that amount.

According to the US dept of Labor statistics the average income of a Police officer is $47,000 per year. The average income for a firefighter is $40,000 per year and get this... Paramedics, $30,000 per year!!!

So, I guess its obvious, someone somewhere in our warped society thinks watching a guy play with a basketball is much more important than saving lives or keeping people safe..

This is wrong, very wrong..

5 comments:

Bre said...

=3 Take it to congress, mom.

Tonjia said...

LOL do you think it will work, dear daughter of mine?

Get your law degree and lets fight this together!

Lisa said...

Hey tonjia I will fight it with you too!!! I never even hit the $40,000 mark after nearly 22 years. My son in Texas made as much money as I did in two years time as I did in 20 years. I am happy for him, but sucks for me. I have always, ALWAYS said we in the USA have our priorities all screwed up when we pay someone millions of dollars to just play something. I wish people would just stop going to the "games" and show them that they need to put a cap on players salaries. That is just plain stupid to pay someone that kind of money. But I feel the same way about people in the music and movie business. But somehow that just does not bother me as much. Here we are paying $70dollars for some concert tickets which I think is wrong unless they are box seats, but that is just the way it is anymore. I know some tickets on the floor are going to upwards of $200. each. What is wrong with us people? I just can not justify that now days. I guess if you have the money and the time it is not any of my business. But I won't be doing it.

Thanks for hitting a nerve with me. Did you ever get a chance to go back and read my police story I posted the other day? I don't know how to link the police stories all together but they are marked with the badge picture in the left hand corner! Have a nice weekend.

Debbie said...

I completely agree that it's ridiculous. And what about teachers too? We have got a lot screwed up here...good grief!

But!! I have something for you over at my blog today :)

Later girl! ((HUGS))

Putz said...

ALLEN WAS PART OF A TEAM THAT didn't do very well, if he had played for the celtics, they would have had to offer him a contract for 40 million