The defense attorney booted me right off of the jury! LOLOL
I reported for jury duty today, along with approx 45 other residents of our county. We were welcomed with open arms and big smiles, (made you wonder what was up). We were told that they know it is an inconvenience and that the people of our county are so appreciative of our willingness to serve on a jury. (Oh I just bet they are!!! ) We were also assured that since we were summonsed today then we wouldnt be called to jury duty for at least 2 yrs and possibly up to 8 years!
We got our juror badges and then had to sit and watch a 20 minute video telling us what a juror does, a tiny bit about the law and how proud we will be of serving on a jury. There are 3 sizes of jury's in Colorado, a 3 man jury (for a civil jury trial) a 6 man jury for a more severe civil trial or one that involves large amounts of money or a 12 man jury which is for a criminal trial.
We were there to assemble a criminal trial. Hmmmm I was hoping it was a murder trial, but it wasnt. I involved a felony weapons charge for a man who was on parole from another state and caught with drugs and guns in Colorado... BORING....
Anyway, we were sent to the courtroom and the judge talked, and then 25 individuals were called up for the first wave of jury selection. I was number 8! One of our security guards from the hospital that I am acquainted with was there and he was #7! We decided that no self respecting defense attorney would want us on the jury, and the questioning began...
Did I mention that the security guard from work was former law enforcement? LOLOL He was the first to go... AND the arresting detective on this case just happened to be the husband of one of my coworkers! LOL
After some good questions by the Assistant DA and some horrible questions from the public defender, they began to strike people from the panel. I was #4 to go. I think after I told the ADA that I didnt think there was such a thing as an "inconsequential law" and that I believed that if a felon was in possession of a gun illegally that he should go to jail, that the public defender kind of got the hint that I have no tolerance for felons, or those who possess illegal weapons. LOLOL
One thing that I was really surprised at was the number of people in our group who had been accused of a crime! Out of 25 there were probably 6 that had not been accused of a crime, and therefore had been involved with a district attorneys office somewhere!!
Many of those were drunk driving and minor in possession charges.. Good grief!!
So much for the excitement, I feel sorry for those who ended up getting stuck on the jury, this is going to be a long boring trial. The felon was pleading not guilty!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
I was stricken!
Posted by Tonjia at 3:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
You certainly dodged a bullet. I have never been called to jury duty but would hope my profession would make it easy for them to dismiss me as well. Lawyers don't seem to like the media much. So I have that in my favor.
Agree. That would have been boring. I'm still focused on the word summonsed. Stupid word LOL LOL! Yeah, just keep saying it over and over. I need a dog. I was just on the phone with Rooster's hubby and asked him a question, then answered it before he did.
That's what comes from living alone. Why did I share this? LOL LOL
Maybe boring, but I think it would have been great if you would have been selected to serve. I doubt very seiously that I will ever get selected to serve either. You know me...not very opened minded.
Post a Comment