Friday, January 9, 2009

People never cease to amaze me...

Oh my, it is a full moon outside. When the moon gets full, the ER becomes very interesting. Did I say interesting?? Unusual is more like it.


Today was no exception. I cannot divulge too much information about the day, (HIPAA laws you know) but see the graphic below:

And one other suggestion, just for the record, if you are trying to get narcotics from an emergency room. DONT come in using one name a week after you were seen in the same ER using a different name.... duhhhhhh

11 comments:

Lisa said...

AMEN SISTER!!!! That will never cease to amaze me. Can buy beer and cigarettes, but no food for the kids or coats to keep them warm. Or shoes for their feet. But can sure put the ole hand out there for the government huh?

Unknown said...

tonjia... you are SO right about the unusual behaviors a full moon brings out of humanoids! Your place of work has it that you are a sitting duck for these weirdos (no offense, weirdos).
Make it a good day!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Mental P Mama said...

Funny and sad all at the same time.

Jenni said...

I see it all too often as well in my line of work. It makes me madder than anything when we have children who are hungry and then do a home visit to find a big screen tv, surround sound, all the current gaming systems, in a home that's falling apart, has no heat, and the children have less than a weeks worth of clothes.

Oh, I'm not exagerating.

Ness said...

The ones who abuse the system make it tough for the legitimate people, like my daughter, to get help when they need it. The full moon theory is true...I never believed it until I worked in ER.

Marge said...

I agree, Tonjia! Totally. I never could understand how someone could make their kids go without and yet have all the latest, PLUS, for themselves.

The other thing that amazes me is that those folk travel in huge packs, don't they? Seems if one goes to the ER, 14 friends and relatives have to come along!

Acutescrubnurse said...

oh man....you are so right!! It's amzing how stupid people can be. I used to work for an oral surgeon where the copay for medical assistance was $2.00. They would come with their whole packs of people, all with large bottles of soda/junk food and no $$ for copay. Our surgeon refused to treat them without the copay. Which, I have to pay my $25 copay each time I am seen, so I guess they should pay theirs. (along with my meds)
I heard we are suppose to have a huge full moom tonight. Hope it's a good one.
Rita

Debbie said...

Your patients can leave, mine are locked up, but the same crap applies both places. Geez! This is so true. I hope the coming change? in healthcare will stop the ER from being a mental health facility and a doctor's office!

As always, I sure admire nurses patience!

kim-d said...

Hey Tara! Remember me, your good friend Lisa??? I've been busy reading about HIPAA and such :). I have to tell you--I just love that graphic of yours. It's really hard to understand where some people get their sense of priorities. Probably the same place where they dropped of their brains, huh? HA!

And the full moon deal is SO true.

Cupcake Blonde said...

I have to give you tons and tons of credit. I could not deal with the crazy that comes into an ER. I do not know how you do it!

C-J said...

Many thanks for being an ER nurse, I've heard it's tough.

I'm annoyed by the idea of the drug seekers but I'm pissed off at people not giving their children Tylenol.

Carol