Saturday, October 18, 2008

Is it the Nature of the Beast?


I am really into people watching. I have been a people watcher for a while, and I swear, the more I watch the weirder the people get! LOL


So today, we are at Sams Club to buy some meat. A no brainer, right? Even though we are risking life and limb by even going into a Sams club on a Saturday, Dana and I took the challenge and risked it.


I am standing there while Dana is looking at something in the meat case and I realize that there is a long line wrapping around the end of an aisle. OK I have to go see. Its in my nature, curiosity kills the cat and all of that jazz. Guess what the line is for? You guessed it! FOOD!


These people are all lined up with their carts and kids hanging off of the carts and kids crying and kids fighting etc. to get 2 pc of shrimp on a little plate! WTF??? 2 scrawny little pieces of shrimp? Is our economy that bad? It looked like a bread line in Russia or something. Talk about pathetic.....


I think they were working their way down the line from the back of the store. The sample tables for juice, jerky, crackers and the fruit salad were all closed and empty. The hoardes must have cleaned them out!


I have this aversion to eating food left out in public for others to touch with their grimy, status post nose picking fingers so I usually dont partake in the samples unless the person dishes it up and hands it to me directly, so I didnt have any intention of standing in the line, but other people were really disappointed.


We have reached a sad state of affairs, America a sad state of affairs....

9 comments:

Chris said...

I am afraid to tell you I have been known to take my kids to Costco for the free samples for thier lunch lol. We love the free food samples at costco. But I won't stand in line and wait.

Unknown said...

tonjia...I am totally with you on this one, sister! Oh my goodness, it is gag city for me when I think of the body flakes, the sneeze residue and the countless other "people" issues left behind on these samples! I've become so obesessed with this new illness of mine, I refuse to buy salad from a salad bar!

~AirmanMom returning to her blog...

Lisa said...

Ok, are you changing your blog everyday? I really like this look. I LOVE the color, it is soothing, peaceful and if that is not the look you were going for, sorry...I LOVE it.

I don't do food samples either. don't really know why other than I am very picky and just don't. I did tease my parents the other day when I was out with them that we could go through the store and get samples instead of going out to eat. They just laughed at me. Sure glad they did, because I was NOT serious. But if we get much poorer, then I might have to rethink the free sample thing.

Really do like this blog look!!!

Tonjia said...

body flakes?? ewwww... now I am sure I wont ever partake in the freebies. LOLOL

I can still do salad bars, when I have to. The older I get the more I begin to think like Monk. :-)

Rick said...

Tonjia, I look for those carts in the volume buying stores, though I doubt that two pieces of shrimp would enthrall me enough to wait in a long line. I don't want to think about "body flakes!!"

Thank you for all your kind comments on my blog. You are certainly one of the blessings I have received through this blogging experience.

Cupcake Blonde said...

I once got elbowed in the gut by a little old lady at Costco because I dared to try and grab the last cracker smeared with some sort of spread cheese.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I don't know if that's sad or scary or funny or a combination? It's certainly weird!

mommy-medic said...

Personally I would wait in line all day for some snotty shrimp. Especially if they dropped it on the floor first, then wiped it on a blue-jean leg covered in motor oil. Yum yum! (gagging at the mental image).

Thanks for the comments , I will certainly be back for more!

kim-d said...

BWAHAHAHAHA...I could have written this post. Now, it is a well-known fact that I LOVE me some food, but this whole thing of "tapas a la Sam's Club" is just...ewwwww! I could never, ever be one of the food-passer-outer people; I know I'd sneer if people actually lined up :)!